Friday 20 July 2012

'Fossil' Enamelled Brooches




 I have been making more of these and now have some in my Folksy shop as well as in Lovers Lights Gallery in Twickenham. I love making them as each one comes out totally different. I pierce them out in 1.2 copper sheet and solder hand made brooch findings to the reverse. I then apply Balls liquid white enamel by brush and allow it to dry, before sgraffittoing the design with an old diamond glass engraving tool. after an initial firing I then sieve on jewellery enamels and firing again. It is with this firing that the magic happens. With liquid white it is opaque at low temperatures but when fired harder it becomes transparent. I try to keep some of this opaque quality, but allow parts to acquire that wonderful golden glow. Sometimes I add touches of carefree lustre gold in a final firing.

No comments:

Post a Comment